Emperor’s Ginseng Zizyphus
Modified Tian Wang Bu Xin Dan
Emperor of Heaven’s Special Pill to Tonify the Heart
1. Addresses chronic insomnia, palpitations, heart disease, and irritability
2. Useful in the treatment of menopausal symptoms, chronic urticaria, canker sores, neurasthenia, chronic fatigue, difficulty concentrating, daytime fatigue
3. It is especially beneficial for patients who have taken tranquilizers or sleeping medications for so long that they have ceased to have any effect
Chinese Therapeutic Effects
· Enriches the yin
· Tonifies the heart
· Nourishes the blood
· Calms the spirit
Internal: 3 tablets TID, between meals
60 tablets, 750mg, 6 day supply
· White Ginseng root (bai ren shen)
· Salvia root (dan shen)
· Scrophularia root (xuan shen)
· Poria sclerotium (fu ling)
· Schizandra fruit (wu wei zi)
· Polygala root (yuan zhi)
· Platycodon root (jie geng)
· Rehmannia root (raw) (sheng di huang)
· Tang Kuei root (dang gui)
· Asparagus root (tian dong)
· Ophiopogon tuber (mai men dong)
· Biota seed (bai zi ren)
· Zizyphus seed (suan zao ren)
In TCM, disturbances of the spirit due to deficiency of the blood and yin of the heart usually manifest in insomnia, palpitations, and irritability. The proper strategy is to enrich the yin and nourish the blood of the heart. Emperor’s Ginseng Zizyphus is traditionally used for irritability, palpitations with anxiety, fatigue, insomnia with very restless sleep, inability to think or concentrate for even short periods of time, nocturnal emissions, forgetfulness, daytime fatigue, dry stools, a red tongue with little coating, and a thin, rapid pulse. There may also be sores of the mouth and tongue, low-grade fever, and night sweats.
The chief herb, white ginseng (bai ren shen), a special preparation of panax ginseng root, used in the formula as an adaptogen for increasing resistance to environmental stress and as a general tonic for improving well-being. White ginseng generates fluids and is better than other forms of ginseng to tonify Qi and generate fluids. White ginseng also used for stimulating immune function, improving physical and athletic stamina, preventing muscle damage from exercise, improving cognitive function, concentration, memory, and work efficiency.
Rehmannia root (sheng di huang) nourishes the yin and clears heat, which is then able to control the disturbance of the spirit due to fire. Salvia root (dan shen) and Tang Kuei (dang gui) tonify the blood to nourish the heart without causing stasis. Biota (bai zi ren) and Polygala root (yuan zhi) calm the spirit. Poria sclerotium (fu ling) assists the heart qi. Asparagus root (tian men dong), Ophiopogon tuber (mai men dong) and Scrophularia root (xuan shen) enrich the yin and clear heat from deficiency. Schizandra fruit (we wei zi) and Zizyphus seed (suan zao ren) prevent the leakage of heart qi. Platycodon (jie geng), which conducts the actions of the other herbs upward toward the upper burner, the abode of the spirit.
Emperor’s Ginseng & Zizyphus is a variation of tian wang bu xin dan, a time-tested formula, made in the USA. Health Concerns version uses ginseng as the emperor herb, as ginseng helps the body adapt to physical and mental stress and makes the formula easier to digest. It is important to properly prepare ginseng for its intended application. It is traditionally used with clients who have a red tongue and thin rapid pulse.
· Whereas Emperor’s Ginseng Zizyphus is traditionally used during the day for chronic insomnia, Schizandra Dreams or Griffonex 5-HTP can be used before bed or upon awaking in the night
· Shen-Gem addresses chronic insomnia due to blood deficiency